Sunday, January 2, 2011

CGX, LDP and WHY?

The time has come for me to explain myself.  Although I've had a wonderful time with the job hunt, I must hang up my hunter's hat, throw on some elbow grease and begin my career.

So, let's start with why exactly my job exists.

The comercial printing industry has undergone a recent trend towards consolidation; my company (Consildated Graphics -- CGX) has identified a few challenges common to this type of consolidation.  These challenges relate to:

  • Lack of communication between locations.
  • Difficulty with leadership turnover.
  • Technological dissemination and adoption
  • Lack of interest of young people in the Printing industry.
In order to overcome these challenges, CGX has created their leadership development program.  This program is designed to lure recent college graduates to lend their enthusiasm, ability to network and knowledge of digital systems to CGX's existing force.  The long term nature of the program is designed to help information be disseminated from veterans of the print industry to their potential replacements.


And what exactly is my job?

The Leadership Development Program (LDP), at its core, is a three year management training program.  There are three phases to the program:

  1. Rotations
  2. Sales
  3. Focus
In the first phase, the LDP associates rotate through every department in their company.  During our rotations we are expected to not only learn the positions we are placed in, but to lead projects within those departments.  The nature of these projects varies depending on the individual's strengths and the company's needs.

After rotations comes a stint in sales.  Associates are expected to act as full time sales people.

Finally, the last portion of the training the associates can focus on either sales or operations.  We are given the ability to attend 'boot camps' where we learn a trade, skill or other ability and to bring that information/expertise back to our locations.  The boot camps are held all over, and vary in length depending on the nature of the boot camp.

Upon graduation I would be instantly eligible for a sales position, and have the ability to apply for an operations management position.

And Finally: why did I choose this job?

The day before thanks giving this year I was offered two positions, one with a publishing company and one with a printing company.  I had been actively and excitedly pursuing both positions.  So what, exactly, appealed to me about this one over the other position?

The pay was better with the position I did not choose.  The location was closer to my apartment, and the benefits were better.  Quantitatively speaking, it appears I made a silly choice.

Qualitatively, however, I don't think I could have made a better one.  This position offers more possibilities for self improvement, it's more related to my field, and I like the people I interviewed with much more.  Really, it's very simple.  Although I could have been better off in the short term financially speaking with the other job, in the long term I would have ended up in the same position I was hired into for almost a decade, I would work with people I really didn't like very much and I would be pigeon holed into a specialized position that would never allow me to grow.

So, thank you all very much for your time and attention.  If I decide to start up a new blog about my experiences, you will be the first to know!

Best regards,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment