Thursday, November 4, 2010

2.36 and 4? Cultural Education at the Library

Today I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands.  No more passive job hunting, it's time to actively create my own job!

I've always been a little resistant to networking, always thinking that "it's not what you know it's who you know" was unfair to those of us who don't really know anybody.  Of course the reason this practice exists is not to exclude unsociable people, rather it's due to employers wanting to know just who they're getting involved with before they start shelling out dough to keep you on.


I've been volunteering at the library since September, and in that time I've done a pretty decent job of keeping my head above water and mastering those tasks they set me out to do. The ladies at the library have been getting to know me as well, and they seem content with my work.

Today I decided that I would speak to the Branch Manager to find out how I could get involved in our children's programming.  I brought along my coordination resume (this being a spur of the moment decision I didn't have time to make one special) and asked her simply who to talk to.  I threw in that I had experience directing educational programming for children.

Before I knew it, we were discussing program specifics and pulling in the Children's librarian to go over the details!

I'll be hosting a cultural education program for one and a half hours every month.  The program will be everything that I put into it, and my chance to really shine!

By Tuesday I will bring a sample lesson plan, sample flyer of how to advertise the event, a press release detailing the program and an announcement recruiting the multi-cultural library staff and volunteers to participate!  So much to do!

This opens up the possibility of self-employment of another kind.  Bringing this type of programming to schools and other organizations.  It would be very similar to the International Institute's education department.  I will think of this experience with the library as being a pilot program, possibly leading to recurring events at the library and beyond.

Best regards,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment