Monday, November 1, 2010

Phase II: Introduction

 After the initial contact comes the interview period. This is when companies and I determine if we are right for one another.  Much like a blind date, we each go in with the rosy pictures painted by our profiles (they have my resume, and I have their website) and hopefully get past those basic facts and on into the meat of the issue.  Will I fit in their company; do we each offer what the other is seeking?

A component of Phase II is evaluating just how selective I can afford to be.  How much do those credentials that I managed to rake up in University set me apart from the rest of the pack?  What exactly do I want in a position, how much of that do they need to offer upfront, and how much am I willing to accept one, three and five years from now?

 Phase II covers interview techniques and abilities.  Although I am not convinced that every position I interview for will be the perfect career for me, I plan to approach every interview with the same professionalism and learn from every success and mistake that occurs during the process.  This will include accepting any interview and using it as a practice opportunity.  I will also keep track of questions that will help me to determine whether I will have a positive relationship with an employer.

Finally, this will cover all of Method 5: self improvement.  Because the majority of what I have been pursuing through method 5 is knowledge that will help me in the interview process, I will no longer count method 5 in phase I.

Best regards,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment