Monday, November 1, 2010

Phase II: Personal Mission Statement

As recommended in They Don't Teach Corporate in College by Alexandra Levit, who is citing the author of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, below is the work towards my "Personal Mission Statement".

Step 1: Skills I possess

General SkillsSpecific Skills
  • Communication
  • Personnel Coordination
  • Consensus building
  • Democratic leadership
  • Collaborative problem solving
  • Charismatic leadership
  • Organizational Ability
  • Reading Comprehension
  • Detail orientation
  • Microsoft Office Work
  • MS Office Excel
  • MS Office Power Point
  • MS Outlook Express, 2007
  • HTML
  • CSS
  • Word Press
  • Javascript
Step 2: Philosophical Journey
Time to sit and think about the following topics:
What are your values? What type of work would you view as a privilege to show up to? How do you prefer to work? What is success? Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Starting with values:  Although much of my ideology is constantly changing and shifting, there are a few things that I have always considered important or valuable.  The first is the importance of knowledge and understanding.  It has often been said that one cannot have a democratic society without a well informed populace.  I believe this to be true; and believe this extends into capitalism at its core.

Equally important is expecting oneself to  be a role model.  Although I may go my entire life without anyone imitating my decisions, I cannot assume that will be the case.  If I chose to take an action it should be one that, if everyone else on the planet did the same, there would be a generally positive impact, or at least a negative impact would be mitigated.

Money and fame value very little to me.  Prestige is something for which I strive, however I seek it in the context of education or recognition for a positive impact.  I put more weight on outcomes than on effort; though I have never felt that the ends can justify the means of any action.

I believe that every single person on the planet is capable of anything.  Not strictly positive tings, either.  At it is the situations we chose to put ourselves in that define which actions we are able to choose from to take.  I do not feel that our actions are predestined by our personalities, but rather elicited through the situations of which we chose to be a part.

Continuing onto the Privilege of Employment
I would love to work somewhere that I feel is having a true positive impact on the world.  I would also feel privileged to work for a company that invests in its employees because it believes in their ability to make a positive impact on the company's overall well being.  A place that arms its employees with the tools they need to succeed and then trusts them to do it.  I hope to work with driven, creative people who are as passionate about the company's mission as I am.

Success
I define success first from the individuals' perspective, that they are allowing the organization to continue and prosper.  Second from the organization's perspective I view success as contributing to the overall functioning of society.  A good example of this would be a public transportation system.  The driver keeps the system going by shuttling people back and forth from their stops.  The system benefits society overall because people are able to get to and from their jobs, thereby feeding their families and putting capital back into the economy.

I also view success as pursuing continuous improvement of oneself.  Education is one of the main methods of pursuit in this respect.

The Crystal Ball: Myself in 10 years
In ten years, I hope to be working for a company that I enjoy, I hope to be pursuing a graduate degree and I hope that I will have contributed in a positive way to those around me.  I also hope those contributions will extend out into the general functioning of society.

Step 2: Putting it into a Personal Mission Statement:
I am seeking an position that allows for constant self improvement where I can affect positive change in an organization; which in turn has a positive effect on the overall functionality of society.

Step 3: What it all Means
I'm not certain what exactly this implies about my future career.  It gives me a good idea that the organization that I'm looking for should be one I believe in, it also brings to light that I put a great deal of importance on working in a position that is significant to the company and to the rest of the world.  Hopefully this will at least help me to filter through the results of my search.

Best regards,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment