Sunday, November 7, 2010

Monthly Update

Dear loyal reader(s?),

It seems I've hit the one month mark with the chronicles of my job search.  As with all efforts, it is necessary to review effort and progress that has resulted of that effort, so as future endeavors may be properly directed. Each method will be evaluated on how many phase II encounters it has provided to this point in time...

So here goes:
MethodPhase II Progress
Method 1: Searching Job Postings1: Interview,
no spam
Method 2: Passive Seach1 Interview
whole bunch of spam
Method 3: Networking0
Method 4: Self Employment1Potential Opportunity
at the Library
Method 5: Job Fairs1 Phone Interview
whole bunch of spam
Method 6: Imaginary Jobs1Potential Opportunity
at the Library

As you can see almost all of the "hard" methods have had approximately equal success, though when weighing the spam responses it seems that Job Fairs (when done irresponsibly) may become a waste of time.  Also Passive Search methods require constant cleaning of the email inbox to keep up with the shear number of 'respondents' who have not yet bothered to look at my resume, save to read my name and email address.

It seems that continuing to pursue job postings (on job posting boards) is a relatively fruitful method.  However my recent experiences with the library have shown that this may be a method of active job seeking that I have not yet attempted.

With these conclusions in mind, I believe that devoting more time to the library, to responding to job postings and thoroughly researching job fairs will be the most effective use of my time.

I would also like to introduce Phase I method 7: researching companies in which I am interested and 1. applying to job postings via the company's website or 2. showing up at the company's recruiting events as they are held.

Best regards,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment