Thursday, November 11, 2010

Phase I to II; Decision Time

I recently had a successful phone interview with my number one target company.  At the end of the interview the interviewer mentioned that my nearest location is not hiring, however, another location in the area is.  A longer commute, but the same exciting position.  To add complication, my target location will most likely be hiring as of February.  This situation leaves me with three options:
  1. Accept the position at the less valuable location immediately and just deal with the commute.
  2. Wait until February and try again.
  3. Take the position at the far location and relocate the the closer location in February.
I will create a pro/con list for each of these options to weigh out the benefits and consequences.

1.  Accept now and deal with the commute:
Pro'sCon's
  • Immediate Pay check
  • Immediate activities
  • Start working earlier
  • The recruiter who recommended me works at this location: potential ally?
  • Not looking non-committal for changing locations
  • Start building relationships immediately
  • Be a full rotation ahead of where I would be if I waited
  • Less time for library program
  • Will need to buy a car or deal with 1.5 hour bus ride.
  • Giving up on pursuing any other offers from other companies
  • Long commute regardless of method of transportation.
  • May have difficulty getting time off for wisdom teeth issues.
2.Wait until February
Pro'sCon's
  • Bike to work.
  • Will not look flaky when change locations
  • More time to prepare for working.
  • Will not need to buy car.
  • Short commute
  • Time for wisdom teeth is guaranteed.
  • Time to get library program off the ground.
  • Time to explore other options.
  • No guarantees the job will be there.
  • No pay check for four months at least.
  • Will not know anyone at the new location.
  • May look like a procrastinator for taking the position.
  • Risk being forgotten about.
  • No immediate work (continued boredom)

And finally:
3.  Accept in Anaheim, move to Irvine:
Pro'sCon's
  • Immediate work.
  • Opens up the option to stay if I like it there.
  • Immediate pay.
  • Start off with an ally.
  • Be a full rotation ahead.
  • Eventually short commute.
  • Eventually bike to work.
  • Build relationships with people at multiple locations.
  • No extra time for library program.
  • Long commute initially.
  • May need to buy car.
  • 1.5 hour bus ride.
  • No extra time for wisdom teeth.
  • No time to explore other options.
  • May appear flaky to change locations.

Like any good comparison of qualitative data presented quantitatively, I will now perform the magic of weighting. Although each of these items is a concern, some are more relevant/salient than others. Watch, and be amazed at how clarity is achieved...

1. Accept and deal
Salient Pro'sSalient Con's
  • Potential local ally.
  • Start building relationships immediately
  • Be a full rotation ahead of where I would be if I waited
  • Will need to buy a car or deal with 1.5 hour bus ride.

2. Wait and Accept:
Salient Pro'sSalient Con's
  • Bike to work
  • No guarantees the job will be there.
  •  Risk being forgotten about.

3. Accept and Switch
Salient Pro'sSalient Con's
  • Start off with an ally.
  • Be a full rotation ahead.
  • Build relationships with people at multiple locations.
  • Long commute initially.
  • May need to buy car or deal with 1.5 hour bus ride.

Taking all of this into account my decision is...

... I need more information!

In order to properly address this situation, I need all of the information that I can at my disposal. The interviewer is expecting me to contact her tomorrow with my decision. However, I believe I may need to contact her with questions, that, contingent upon the answers I will make my decision.

So, questions relevant to my salient concerns:
1. To interviewer: None.
To myself: Am I willing to deal with a 3 hour commute every day?
To Henk: Can we afford a car?

2. To interviewer: Is there a guarantee there will be a position available at Irvine location in February?  Will I be guaranteed to get that position? 
To myself: Am I willing to deal with uncertainty? Can I entertain myself for four more months without going crazy?
To Henk: Can we continue to live on a single income?

3.  To interviewer: (already asked, the answer was an unofficial yes) Will I be able to change locations once I've begun?
To myself: Am I willing to deal with a 3 hour commute every day? Am I willing to relocate?
To Henk: Can we afford a car?

More on this later!

Best regards,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment