Sunday, November 14, 2010

Decisions

It looks like this week was a week for decision for me and a few others.

I was officially turned down for the position at Frito-lay.  This was a bit unexpected; not the rejection but the fact that they bothered to send me a letter about it.  Though I've unsuccessfully pursued positions since beginning this search, this was the first official communication of that rejection.

Though I wasn't terribly interested in the position, I was hoping to follow the process a bit longer to gain further experience in face-to-face interviewing.

According to the letter I was removed from the running on the basis of an online test score.  I assume this to be the situational management test.  A situation was described and five options were given.  For each option you marked "would do" "probably would do" "undecided" "probably would not do" and "would not do".  You then indicated which action was the "worst" and which was the "best".

I recall from my phone interview that I was told they were looking for someone who is very 'numbers oriented'.  They are very concerned about good sales numbers; and as a result I believe they are looking for an autocratic leader.  Someone who will do what it takes to appease the company and the customer regardless of the morale consequences for their team.

This is not me.  I believe in team building, I believe that sometimes it's important to take a short term loss in productivity in order to ensure a long term gain (ie: training an employee to complete a task rather than just doing it yourself because it would be faster).  I also believe that the best way to lead is to keep track of your team's current state and make decisions accordingly.

I answered the assessment honestly and, as it turns out, my answers were not in accordance with what they are searching for in a manager.

I am more than happy to step aside and let someone else take that position.

On my end, a decision has been made, as well.  I have elected to pursue the opportunity in Anaheim rather than waiting for the uncertain opportunity in Irvine.  This means I have a bit of a bus ride ahead of me, but I will survive.

After weighing my options, I realized a few things:
  1. This program for which I am applying is the most exciting position I have found.
  2. I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to get involved in this program because of temporal or geographic issues.
  3. It is important that I develop a reputation as someone who is decisive, determined, and willing to go the extra mile(s) for the program/company.
  4. I do not want to change positions halfway through the program.
 I know that pursuing this is the best option for me, and that if I prepare myself I will be read.

Best regards,
Beth

1 comment:

  1. Huzzah! I assume this means you have a JOB?! A real life ADULT JOB?!

    ReplyDelete