Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I'm Picking Up Good Vibrations...

Just finished an interview with a Solar Company out here in the Orange County area.  They had a very interesting format for the interview, where they brought us in as a group and monitored our interactions, our leadership styles and our ability to answer questions together.  Then separately.

I would say overall I made a positive impression, though next time I must be certain to bring all of my anecdotes around to a moral or a lesson.

I am very impressed by their business model, though I have some concerns about their approach to it.  The CEO was in the interview and he was  very adamant that this was the beginning of the next .com boom, and compared our opportunity to that of joining Google when it was first starting off.

Though I do agree with part of his analogy; that the green economy bubble is comparable to the dot com bubble, I have to wonder: what about when the bubble bursts?  Both Henk and I would be employed in the 'green' sector, and if alternative energy is to fossil fuels what dot com was to standard commerce we'd be at risk of losing both our incomes when the inevitable happens.

I think he wanted us (the interviewees) to believe that we would be in that top percent of people who make and continue to make significant money despite the bubble burst.

I hope that they have considered the long term sustainability of the business; how to cope with technology changes and the difficulties associated with upgrading a heavily decentralized grid; potential government regulations; alternative suppliers... the gambit.  As much as they want to know that I will be around in five years, I want to know they will be around in five years.

The most interesting moment came after the interview as we were all saying our good-bye's.  The CEO turned to me and said "I was reading your blog while you guys were talking".  I was a so taken aback that someone unrelated to me had bothered to read this thing that I couldn't formulate a response!

Though I did realize later that meant I had the CEO's attention (in one form or another) throughout the entire interview.

Here's to hoping!
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment