Thursday, October 28, 2010

Interview Techniques

As I go on interviews, I learn something new each time. Every interviewer is looking for something different, but there are some general rules of thumb that I can share with you.
  1. Answer questions with an anecdote, and make sure that anecdote has a point or moral. Make sure that your anecdote says what you intend. Mistakes I've seen/made: Bringing up a personal issue with a coworker.  The interviewer is not interested in that time you didn't get along with your coworker; they're interested in how you resolved the issue.
  2. Think about the points you want to make before hand, and drive those home with your anecdotes.  Mistakes I've seen/made: unfocused, trying to sound like a jack of all trades instead of an ace of a few.
  3. Tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, but keep it concise. Babbling and too much information are harmful; they don't need to know every detail of your life.
I'm sure that I'll add more to this list at a later date.

Best regards,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment