Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Premise

This blog is meant to chronicle my post-bachelor's degree job hunt.  I've had some experience in the past, internships, part time positions and summer full time work, but it seems that the well spring that brought me those positions has all but dried up.  Moving into the official job market means I'm not just competing with my peers, but with individuals with decades of experience.

And I've been trying to come up with a few ways of giving myself an edge.  Reading articles, asking 'experts' (for my purposes, I consider an expert to be anyone who already has a position in their feild)  and lots and lots of leg work.  I've also come up with a few--probably dead end, but possibly fruitful--unconventional job search methods.

So the race begins.

It's time to see which of these strategies is the best.  Of course, I'll measure success based on which method I use to get my first position.

The methods:
  1. Searching Job Postings.  I've found over a dozen such sites, which I will list later.  Each day I will go over the recent posts (from the past 24 hours) on each site, and apply for positions for which I qualify.
  2. Posting my resume.  Again, back to the dozen sites.  The majority of sites allow for resume postings for passive job searches.  I will specify on the list of sites on which I have posted my resume.
  3. Networking.  I've started volunteering at the library in hopes of meeting savvy business owners seeking a recent graduate.  I've also been fostering hope that the library might need a business major some day.  I've also started taking dance classes.  And, finally, I've been getting to know Henk's coworkers (and bits and pieces of his job) as well as I can; even sending my resume with Henk to work to give to HR.
  4. Self employment.  Sounds like a challenge (and it would be), but I have a few methods that I've decided to employ for this.  Every day, I cook Henk a delicious lunch, make sure his shirts are properly ironed, and send him on his way.  My hope is that his coworkers, whose wives are in Germany or Michigan, will see the value of paying someone to perform these duties for them.  I will have to come up with a cost structure, if this becomes the case.
On your mark, get set...

GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment