Friday, October 15, 2010

Method 6, Job Fairs and Method 5, personal enrichment

The long beach job fair is coming up next Monday!

Though most of the companies are insurance or financial services (can anyone say cold sales?) There were a few in which I'm interested.  So, it's time to update the resume!

I have two resumes that I consider 'general', one for marketing, and one for coordination.  I use these for career sites and for jumping off points for resumes customized to job postings.  And it's high time I give them a revamp!

Because none of the employers in which I'm interested list positions, it'll be a bit of a guessing game as to what to put on the resume.  My plan is to put in those experiences which I would like to duplicate.  I plan on communicating what I want out of a job to the employer based on what I put in my resume.  Of course, I'll be a bit selective about which employers I give which resume, those that I suspect might be looking for salesmen I'll be more likely to offer my coordination resume, and those that I think might have a career path that starts with marketing I will give the marketing resume.

Of course, Long Beach is about an hour and a half away from Irvine, meaning most of the companies are not located near enough to my apartment.  But as they say, practice makes perfect!  In attending this fair, I'll be more than ready for the Orange County job fair on the 27th.

I plan on passing out more of the coordination resume due to my personal interests and strenghts.

And in preparation for any potential interviews or meetings, I checked out a book from the library; Doing Business In China.  Come to find out I should have checked the copyright date; 1994.  Suspecting that there may have been some changes in the past decade and a half, I purchased another book (Strategic Asia) from the local university bookstore.  This purchase was only $1, and contains information from as recent as 2007!  Not exactly bleeding edge recent, but a little better than 1994.

Wish me luck on my resume updates!

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment