Sunday, October 17, 2010

Method 6: Paragraphs and Themes

Star #1: Capstone Project Day One

My class was assigned to organize ourselves in order to plan and implement an event for a local charity.  I identified the need for organization, and began the class-wide discussion.  After I was certain everyone's ideas had been voiced, I took a preliminary vote to determine the final ideas.  From there, I asked the proponents of each idea to step up and defend their idea to the rest of the class.  A final vote was taken, and we selected our event; a bowling fundraiser for the Detroit Institute for Children. I became the lead of the marketing team, and coordinated the efforts of the entire class.
Themes: Leadership, initiative, organization (chaos to order), centralization

Star #2: Capstone Project, Continuous Success

The marketing team for our capstone project--the planning and execution of an event for a local charity--set ourselves the very lofty goal of convincing 360 people to attend our event.  As marketing team leader, I held meetings where team members described what they considered the most effective ways of promoting the event.  I then assigned tasks to each member and myself.  I coordinated everyone's efforts within the team.  As a result of this decentralized structure, we were advertised on television, radio, newspapers, through social media and through flier distribution.  All of this was accomplished with no budget.
Themes: Leadership, teamwork, organization, decentralization, delegation, success from minimal resources, initiative

Star #3: The Provide.net Experience

I signed on to help a struggling Internet Service Provider improve its market position.  Realizing the lack of support from upper management, and the lack of monetary resources, I analyzed what assets the company had to offer.  I determined the most valuable of these assets were its human resources and virtually vacant upstream bandwidth; the perfect ingredients for a web design department.  I taught myself HTML, CSS and Content Management Systems, and trained the idle technicians on these techniques.  Provide.net is now able to offer additional services, its technicians are capable of addressing a wider range of issues, freeing up the operations manager to focus on improving the technical capabilities of the company.
Themes: Success from minimal resources, leadership, teamwork, training, initiative

Star #4: International Institute Incident

I was asked to direct the summer camp for the International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit's Education Department without budget, staff, or support from the department's director.  I researched activities for the campers, proposed the camp as a promotional opportunity for local cultural presenters, and developed a partnership with the local library for weekly educational visits.  After the eight week camp experience, the campers had a wonderful time and left with an appreciation for the world's cultural diversity.

Themes: Success from minimal resources, leadership, initiative

Star #5: Pretty Lake Office

The office at Pretty Lake Vacation Camp was left in disarray by its previous manager.  When the campers arrived, the new office manager found herself overburdened, the counselors did not receive important medical information on their campers in a timely manner, and we were at risk of failing a government audit.  I stepped in, and became the assistant office manager.  I completed all clerical tasks, allowing the office manager to catch up on the office organization.  I also created a camper information processing system that allowed us to efficiently disseminate camper records to counselors, automatically comply with government audit standards and digitize all camper information.

Themes: Organization (chaos to order), initiative

Themes

ThemeFrequency
Initiative5
Leadership4
Success from Minimal resources3
Organization (chaos to order)2
Team Work2
Decentralization1
Centralization1
Training1
Delegation1

Initiative, Leadership, Success from Minimal Resources and Organization are themes that are repeated most often, and those that I would like to experience again.  I believe that I would succeed in a position with these attributes, and enjoy that position immensely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment