Thursday, October 14, 2010

Method 1: Job Postings, Method 5: Personal Enrichment

While patrolling my common job posting boards, I found an interesting listing.  One that the job didn't seem to match up with the requirements.  By this I mean the job looked to be much higher level than  the requirements would dictate.

Sure, I'd love to be a management consultant to fortune 500 companies all over the world, but are you sure that I only need 1 year of work experience and a bachelor's degree to do that?

Intrigued, I investigated further.  Turns out they have an internship program, which in turn leads to an associate consultancy, and eventually full on consultancy, with a path into the company's upper management.

Cool!

I can do an internship, and I certainly fit their criteria.  So, after about 3 hours of collaborative work on a cover letter and resume (thank you Allison and Sara!) I finally had a product with which I was happy.

Of course, after staring at a screen for three hours, my brain will convince me that a three year old's story is Shakespearean verse, so I elected to take this morning (and early afternoon) off from the screen.

My shift at the library was from 12pm - 2pm.  I was on shelf reading, and, lo and behold, I reached the area with books on consultancy and working with China (the company has two offices in China!).  I checked out the books I thought would be most helpful, and plan on reading them in case they call me for an interview.  At the very least I won't sound completely green!

More than that, if anything happens with Henk's work, they're a consultant firm, too!  And if I am hired onto a management position, again I won't sound completely naive for the first few months.

And of course doing business in China will probably be inescapable no matter where I end up working.

I also started re-reading my programming book.  It's all in Python, but I figure I can take what I learn and apply it to other languages.  I got through the first chapter which covers if/then, while, and a few other basic tools of programming.

And finally I drew on my tablet for about half an hour (will probably do more of that before the day is out).  Nothing major, just working on a drawing of a woman.  I should probably start doing more graphical things rather than art, but I'm enjoying myself for now.

My day continues!

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment